We spent an amazing 9 days doing a road trip through the western fjords of Norway, starting and ending in Bergen. Below is our itinerary, and some tips that helped us.
- Norway: Day 1: Bergen
- Norway: Day 2: Bergen to Gudvangen
- Norway: Day 3: Flam
- Norway: Day 4: Gudvangen to Lom
- Norway: Day 5: Lom to Geiranger
- Norway: Day 6: Trollstigen
- Norway: Day 7: Geiranger to Skei
- Norway: Day 8: Skei to Bergen
Norway Traveling Tips
- We felt the best way to see and absorb the scenery was to rent our own car, and do a road trip. I was very happy with our decision. Norway is extremely travel friendly, the roads are amazing, directions are easy, and you can see and do things on your own time. We rented a car from Budget and there was nothing to complain about.
- We also decided to cook our meals for at least once a day, and that turned out to be a good decision too. We were able to find accommodation in every place with a kitchen for a reasonable amount (< $150), and many places did not have many restaurants (though the few we found had good vegetarian food). We ended up cooking several meals ourselves, and enjoyed grocery shopping and relaxing in the different apartments, with surrounding scenery. I would recommend taking a kit like this one along, with commonly used spices. I even carried rice, pulses, and indian spices, so we could have proper meals with just buying local veggies.
- While driving is easy, I would recommend planning your itinerary to not have more than 4-5 hours of driving a day, and to alternate driving days. While it is tempting to drive 8 hours a day to cover multiple destinations, we really enjoyed staying in one place or parking on the side of the road or a random lake, and walking around. You need to have time to do that. Everywhere you see is gorgeous, and there are very few people around, so you will want to take time to do an impromptu hike or picnic.
- Don’t forget to take a carseat if you have kids, and are renting a car.
- If you’re renting a car, I would recommend downloading an offline maps app in your phone, so you can use it for navigation.